There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

New Omnisphere 2.4.2c release fixes Granular on Windows

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
tack

New Omnisphere 2.4.2c release fixes Granular on Windows

Post by tack »

Elsewhere while DAW benchmarking, Guy discovered a massive performance variation with Omnisphere between Windows and Mac. A bit more investigation revealed these sweeping differences were only with patches using granular synthesis.

Guy reported the observation to Spectrasonics and I'm happy to say that 2.4.2c, hot off the presses (released today), fixes the issue!

Whereas before on my 8700k with the Cream of Emotion 1 patch I was barely able to make it to 7 notes before hitting the CPU wall, with this new version, after cranking polyphony to 64 voices, I'm able to simultaneously play all 64 voices with room to spare (about 70% of a core).

The full changelog:
Includes the following features and fixes:

• Fixes issue where Granular would not work correctly in some scenarios (primarily on Windows)
• Fixes issue where some soundsources would not load properly
- Jason

Guy Rowland

Re: New Omnisphere 2.4.2c release fixes Granular on Windows

Post by Guy Rowland »

Yay! Happy to report it works here too. Load times and CPU now great, has been a good time for updates of late.

Killiard

Post by Killiard »

Yay! I just loaded up cream of emotion, upped it to 64 voices and smashed my arms down on the keyboard, Good times :D

kpc

Post by kpc »

Killiard wrote: May 10, 2018 5:29 am Yay! I just loaded up cream of emotion, upped it to 64 voices and smashed my arms down on the keyboard, Good times :D
That’s my usual method for writing cues! :D
- kayle

GR Baumann

Post by GR Baumann »

The so called Stockhausen upper cut?

Killiard

Post by Killiard »

kpc wrote: May 10, 2018 5:42 am
Killiard wrote: May 10, 2018 5:29 am Yay! I just loaded up cream of emotion, upped it to 64 voices and smashed my arms down on the keyboard, Good times :D
That’s my usual method for writing cues! :D
Glad I'm not alone! :D