There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Adagietto Flash Sale - $48 until the 1st of July

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Alex A

Adagietto Flash Sale - $48 until the 1st of July

Post by Alex A »

Just saw this this morning and it really made my day. They do sound a tad synthy to my ears but with nice shorts and a full section this is not something to regret. Bought and downloading.

Adagietto Flash Sale

Thomas Mavian

Re: Adagietto Flash Sale - $48 until the 1st of July

Post by Thomas Mavian »

Aggressive pricing to say the least! An answer to Soundirons latest "micro" strings I believe.

Don't have any 8DIO strings. Worth the disk space?

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Good heavens, what is going on?!

Thomas asks the perfect question. From hazy memory I seem to remember many really liking Adagietto, while there were some outspoken critics. A quick spin of some of the demos... do I hear that sucking sound a lot here on the attacks?

Topic author
Alex A

Post by Alex A »

I'll try to report back this weekend once download finishes. I was hearing quite a few things I didn't like in the demos too, but the price proved too tempting, as I don't own any of the 8DIO stuff.

Thomas Mavian

Post by Thomas Mavian »

I'm quite tempted...

Thomas Mavian

Post by Thomas Mavian »

Couldn't resist. That sordino ensemble alone is worth it I reckon... We'll see :)

Thomas Mavian

Post by Thomas Mavian »

Well, it will never be my "go to" string library, that position is still held firmly by CSS. The dynamic bowings (in TimeMachine mode) are nice and the sordinos as well. Apart from that I'm not that impressed actually. It won't stay in full on the SSD drive, that's for sure...

Would I buy it again? Don't think so. CSS fake sordinos (in context) comes pretty close to Adagiettos "true" sordinos and since CSS has fake sordinos on every articulation I think CSS still wins... With all that said though, the price is nice.

Erik

Post by Erik »

Is it me - and my set up - or the legato don’t work at-all ???
Other than that, for 48 bucks, it’s very interesting - rather dry if ones want it that way.
In a pop-electro context, I think I’ll find some good use.
"I'm using more black notes now and there are a lot of chords in the last album, too" Vince Clarke -1986

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Thanks folks - got my eye on $48 worth of pizza.

wst3

Post by wst3 »

my two cents...

my string libraries include Adagio, Adagietto, and Agitato from 8Dio, Cinematic Strings and Cinematic Studio Strings, and various strings from Orchestral Essentials and Albion.

Adagietto was one of my first purchases. I recall conversing with Troels at the time, and he suggested Adagietto over Adagio because it was a faster workflow.

I found that to be true, especially after I "graduated" to the full Adagio.

If you have the full Adagio you do not need Adagietto - I've seen some confusion in other threads about that.

I like Adagio (and Adagietto) a lot. They are not perfect, but the imperfections work for me. My favorite articulations are probably the shorts and the dynamic bowing - the later just blows my mind, when it works. They sound really natural. The downside is that you have to work with the timing they recorded. Still a really nice feature.

If I had it to do all over again I'd probably skip over Adagietto and go straight to Adagio... probably. I still use the ensembles in Adagietto from time to time.

For $48 this might be pretty close to that mythical "no-brainer"

Aoiichi

Post by Aoiichi »

Adagietto certainly isn't a bad library from what I've heard, even though it has a few (very publicly discussed) warts - if it weren't for the fact I already own CSS, SSS and Fluid Shorts I'd probably get it. I think it'd probably be a bit unwieldy as a main or only string library, but it's fairly redundant with everything else I own. I hear particular praise for the shorts, but again, Fluid Shorts has that exact same ground covered already and very well too.

If I only owned one or two other libraries, I'd probably go in on this without a second thought.

Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Guy Rowland wrote: Jun 23, 2018 12:37 pm Thanks folks - got my eye on $48 worth of pizza.
I just thought I should let everyone know that due to a quite astonishing quirk of fate I am eating pizza at the Adaggio restaurant in Paris, and between us the mains will probably be about $48. We should in fact be in Turin but... it’s a loooong story.

Thomas Mavian

Post by Thomas Mavian »

Hahahaha😂
Brilliant! Have a nice vacation!

Topic author
Alex A

Post by Alex A »

:D Oh dear...

Erik

Post by Erik »

Guy Rowland wrote: Jun 24, 2018 1:30 pm
Guy Rowland wrote: Jun 23, 2018 12:37 pm Thanks folks - got my eye on $48 worth of pizza.
I just thought I should let everyone know that due to a quite astonishing quirk of fate I am eating pizza at the Adaggio restaurant in Paris, and between us the mains will probably be about $48. We should in fact be in Turin but... it’s a loooong story.
You're in Paris ????
Didn't read that until now !!!
If you're still there, just tell me !!!
"I'm using more black notes now and there are a lot of chords in the last album, too" Vince Clarke -1986

catsass

Post by catsass »

You can buy a lot of meat cake for that.

Tanuj Tiku

Post by Tanuj Tiku »

I got it - too curious at $48. And oh my - what a horrible library over all. There are some useful things but they should probably be selling this for $50 full price.

And what is wrong with the close mics? Why is it spread all over the stereo field? Are we supposed to power-pan? If so, then why have they added FX? Where was this library recorded? If you switch off the Kontakt reverbs, its all choppy and sounds like an experiment really gone wrong.

Dynamic bowings - These are just pfp - VSL has this since 15 years. What is the drama all about? I think pretty much every library has something like this. Yes, 8Dio is a bit more consistent but that makes it very specified in its usage.

and the sound - my fears were right from hearing the demos - the strings sound anemic for some reason.

I really hope the rest of the 8Dio orchestral line-up is nothing close to this. I have some things from 8Dio but I stopped buying a few yeas ago after resentment over a library, conceptually. And now after this experience, I may stay away still.

Arbee

Post by Arbee »

I don't use Adagietto much, but I like the sound so much more than any other ambient string library I've heard (especially the dynamic bowings), that I keep it there for those moments where it can shine.