There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Patchboard app MR Miller

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Christer C

Patchboard app MR Miller

Post by Christer C »

Hi
I found this upcoming app.
https://patchboard.app/
Looks like it could be useful for a lot of us.

Christer

Pablo Crespo

Re: Patchboard app MR Miller

Post by Pablo Crespo »

I like this idea! would be could to use it along dtouch in my touchscreens!
Pablo Crespo
Argentina

wst3

Post by wst3 »

Mac only at least for now, but I will be keeping an eye on it!

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo »

This looks intriguing! Actually, I have for some years invested quite some spare time into developing my own custom template control, using max msp and lemur on iPad. I think I had investigated all kinds of ways how the daw could communicate the track names to the outside world. EUCON Protocol was one of them, but it is closed and extremely difficult to research. So, I really wonder how this guy did it and how he is legally able to use it for a commercial software. As far as I know, Avid does not want to license their protocol to any third party ...

Topic author
Christer C

Post by Christer C »

I´ve also tried with Lemur and Osc through osculator and now with metagrid.
I´m on Dp and I´ve tried to build that with custom consoles and I got it to work, but in a big template it would be to heavy-handed to work flawlessly .
What I really would like is just that to choose an articulation or instrument in a setup and it just arms that track and of we go.

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo »

Well, what is really unique to this is the integration of EUCON. It offers the possibility to send the name of each track in full length to the controller. This is the only way for an external app to identify selected tracks without any further work required. This makes it possible to create or enable tracks in your session freely. You just have to label them correctly!
The alternative to that is sending midi information (e.g. a combination of CCs) from the track. It can be accomplished by using midi sends in Cubase. But it requires you to setup every track in Cubase which is a lot of work for huge templates. It works in the same way then, but just having to name the tracks correctly is certainly a big plus.
However, what this app cannot do is to generate feedback of CC information. I have accomplished that with my work. I asked Mike about it and he kindly replied, that he would like to do that as well, but hasn’t found a way yet to make it work for all DAWs. I am looking forwards to this release!

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo »

Christer C wrote: Aug 10, 2018 11:37 am I´ve also tried with Lemur and Osc through osculator and now with metagrid.
I´m on Dp and I´ve tried to build that with custom consoles and I got it to work, but in a big template it would be to heavy-handed to work flawlessly .
What I really would like is just that to choose an articulation or instrument in a setup and it just arms that track and of we go.
Well, I made that happen with Max, Lemur and Cubase. With Max you can kind of do your own program that reacts to all kinds of messages like Midi and OSC. That enabled me to generate a dedicated control surface on iPad Lemur for every track in the template. Cubase has midi sends on every midi track. With these you can send a specific set of midi tracks to a dedicated send port. E.g., you send CC 0 0 to your midi input in Cubase every time a track is selected. Then, the midi send if that track sends back a unique midi message, defined by a transformer plugin. So, it ain't that complicated, but you have to set up every track in your template in that way, which is kind of a lot of work! :-) This program seems to be able to make the DAW send the names of all tracks to itself. Basically much like Mackie HUI, but not abbreviated names for an 8 digit led - full track names! This is by far the most elegant way I have ever seen! Actually, I am not to excited about the program itself, apart from the track search engine. The features of my own system are much more advanced. That is because Mike tries to make it work for every DAW out there. But I would (almost) kill to be able to use EUCON in max in the way he uses for his app. :-)