There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Apple drops support for Avid DNx codecs

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Apple drops support for Avid DNx codecs

Post by Guy Rowland »

A thorough report on this from Pro Tools Expert, well worth reading if you are a Mac user who uses DNx video files - https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-p ... r-this-now .
“To prepare for future macOS releases, complete Final Cut Pro projects that contain legacy media. In Final Cut Pro, you might see an alert that legacy media files won't be compatible with future macOS releases. Legacy media files are compatible with macOS Mojave, but they won't be with future macOS releases. Legacy media can include footage recorded with cameras like Sony HDCAM-SR cameras, footage from GoPro cameras recorded in the CineForm format, video files in the Avid DNxHD/DNxHR format created with software, footage shot with many other older cameras, or files modified with older software.”
The PTE article expands on the implications of this, the future of Quick Time etc.

KyleJudkins

Re: Apple drops support for Avid DNx codecs

Post by KyleJudkins »

apple is going downhill fast it seems

never been part of that ecosystem, but they went from refusing to let the government into someone's phone to saying not deplatforming people is a sin.

what is with apple's core appeal? Buy our proprietary stuff and it'll always "just work" but everything is so proprietary that things aren't adopted by 3rd party fast enough and they don't support things 3rd parties make long enough.

is the idea "buy this device that is forever frozen in the year or two it was made"?

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Let's not let it become THAT thread....

It's well worth reading that full article, they go in to some depth looking at the reasons and benefits, and it sounds like Pro Tools and Media Composer users shouldn't really be affected anyway.

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

My apologies guy, if you want to private message me a revised version what I said, I'll be happy to edit it

I guess I just don't understand why apple acts the way it does and still has enthusiastic customers.

Microsoft has no shortage of blunders, but there isn't the same level of zealotry/fanboyism for Microsoft... most just hate the alternative.

and what I see here, is apple trying to use its platform to leverage out standards in an industry;instead of building products around industry standards