There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

The Nemeio customisable keyboard

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

The Nemeio customisable keyboard

Post by Guy Rowland »

Something of interest from CES:

A very clever idea, uses electronic ink rather than a lit display. You can manually flick between configurations, seems they missed a trick to auto-switch between apps. I guess you'd also need a separate numeric keypad, and I'd prefer a cabled option. Price is said to be between $300-$500, not sure of release date.

Killiard

Re: The Nemeio customisable keyboard

Post by Killiard »

I saw this earlier too. It’s a shame the colours don’t change but I guess it wouldn’t use the electronic ink then.

I bought one of those Elgato Stream deck things last Black Friday (I think it’s great) and I did wonder if it’d be possible to make a full keyboard with the same tech rather than the 12 buttons the Elgato has.

X-bassist

Post by X-bassist »

Guy Rowland wrote: Jan 13, 2019 4:03 pm Something of interest from CES:

A very clever idea, uses electronic ink rather than a lit display. You can manually flick between configurations, seems they missed a trick to auto-switch between apps. I guess you'd also need a separate numeric keypad, and I'd prefer a cabled option. Price is said to be between $300-$500, not sure of release date.
The key word in this trailer is “Designed in France”, meaning, it will probably be late to market and is most likely overpriced, which means, if it works well, there will be a decent knockoff a few months later for much less. THEN if it’s by a solid company, might be worth it. It is a cool idea after all (especially when colored LED backing is added to each key!)

But getting a specialized expensive product like this from a small company can be hard when a few years later they fold and your not getting software updates to match OS changes. But maybe I’m just a little paranoid when it comes to working tools I may grow to rely on. ;)

ComposerGuy

Post by ComposerGuy »

X-bassist wrote: Jan 14, 2019 12:11 pmBut getting a specialized expensive product like this from a small company can be hard when a few years later they fold and your not getting software updates to match OS changes. But maybe I’m just a little paranoid when it comes to working tools I may grow to rely on. ;)
That would be my concern as well.
-Disclaimer: I have received free libraries from East West and several others. Don’t shoot me.

Arcana

Post by Arcana »

I like the idea but it's not something I would pay $300 for, let alone $500.

And this might just be me, but I like laptop keys as much as I like mini keys on a MIDI keyboard. I really don't get the fascination of the short travel distance for keys, apart from space saving purposes, which is hardly the reason for the choice here.

Tobias Escher

Post by Tobias Escher »

The main issue with these things historically has been that they were awesome as tech toys and very innovative in that regard, but sucked hard at being a decent keyboard.
The best example is the Art Lebedev Optimus Maximus. I used to have one. Full-colour LCD screens behind every key, infinitely programmable, with an awesome software. Too bad it has the worst typing experience in the whole world, using the cheapest switches they could find. It is HORRID.
I hated it to much I sold it am now rocking an Editorskeys keyboard with 2 Stream Decks. Perfect for me.

Thomas Mavian

Post by Thomas Mavian »

Never heard of the Elgato Stream Deck, now I'm really interested...

Does it automatically switch keys depending on which application is in front or is it "omnipresent"?

Tobias Escher

Post by Tobias Escher »

It can automatically switch if you want, or it can be fixed to a specific layout.
You can even configure this differently for each stream deck. One can switch based on application, one can stay fixed.
I think you have have up to 256 Stream Decks on one machine. I love the thing to death and will likely get 2 more for my iMac!

Thomas Mavian

Post by Thomas Mavian »

Wow! Thanks for the info, sounds like I'm going to get one...

Tobias Escher

Post by Tobias Escher »

You won't regret it and if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Killiard

Post by Killiard »

The stream deck is great. There's a lot to be said for having physical buttons! And you can make your own icons!

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Anyone fancy starting a thread on "How I use my Stream Deck?" They look lovely, well designed and are reasonably priced, but I can't quite think of a purpose for it in my setup.

Tobias Escher

Post by Tobias Escher »

I actually have a video about that topic in my pipeline :)
Maybe I'll make it my next one, because the topic is very interesting, indeed.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Great stuff, Tobias - ask if your mum will co-host this time.

Tobias Escher

Post by Tobias Escher »

looooool - she does not speak a single word of English, so that might be tricky :)

Killiard

Post by Killiard »

Guy Rowland wrote: Jan 15, 2019 9:11 am Anyone fancy starting a thread on "How I use my Stream Deck?" They look lovely, well designed and are reasonably priced, but I can't quite think of a purpose for it in my setup.
If I've got a chance I'll do a post with some photos tomorrow. Maybe.

playz123

Post by playz123 »

I use two full sized Stream Decks and would never want to be without them. I suggest the best time to buy them is usually on Black Friday because I don't see them going on sale all that often. In order to get the best out of one, I strongly believe the use of Profiles is essential. For example, when I click on Cubase on my main screen (SD connected to my Mac Pro) (screen shot A), a new Profile for Cubase opens (Screen Shot B) that then contains many controls and short cuts for Cubase. Same idea for Logic...hit the Logic button and a new profile for Logic opens with its controls. On my PC, if I touch the Photoshop button, a new set of buttons/profile opens specifically related to Photoshop. So in fact Stream Deck can actually handle multiples of the 15 buttons and one can even create 'sub sub profiles'. In summary, I guess one can really only begin to appreciate how functional these devices are after you've worked with one. Lots of fun making your own icons in Photoshop as well. Whimsical too.....for example, (screen shot A), if I tap the mail button then New Message, then Patti's picture, a new message screen opens in Mail and the message is automatically addressed to her. BTW, I use the "Bang" button to shutdown programs instead of typing Cmd/Q or whatever. Anyway, point is that the Stream Deck is quite versatile, well made, and lots of fun to use, as well as being useful.
Attachments
Screen Shot B.jpg
Screen Shot A.jpg
Frank E. Lancaster

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

I was going to say, I saw some goofy email about this thing - and all I could think of was

"how to buy a less than desirable keyboard to replace a stream deck"

that said, stream decks have been on my radar for quite a while now - maybe after taxes I'll get around to snagging one. That's entirely depending on a few other libraries I want first. I'm trying reaaaaally hard not to buy a new mouse to match my current color scheme >.>

mark

Post by mark »

At long last, the Streamdeck can now transmit MIDI commands (Notes, CC, Program Change and MMC) using the recently released "MIDI button" action. Simply brilliant for triggering VI articulations.

tack

Post by tack »

mark wrote: Mar 15, 2020 7:42 am At long last, the Streamdeck can now transmit MIDI commands (Notes, CC, Program Change and MMC) using the recently released "MIDI button" action. Simply brilliant for triggering VI articulations.
Thanks for the PSA!

What version is this available in? I see a third party plugin released in January, but none of those actions are labeled "MIDI button" so I'm wondering if there's now some native capability that I'm somehow missing.
- Jason

mickeyl

Post by mickeyl »

Pretty good approach, e-Ink seems to be the proper technology choice for key caps. That said, unless they release products with ergonomic layouts, many people will pass. Been using Microsoft ergonomic keyboards for decades and will never again consider a ‚regular‘ layout.
Cheers,

Dr. Michael Lauer – My Music

mark

Post by mark »

I'm running Stream Deck software 4.5.1 (not the latest) and "MIDI Buttons" shows up in the "More Actions..." list, from whence I downloaded this new gem.

tack

Post by tack »

mark wrote: Mar 15, 2020 2:46 pm I'm running Stream Deck software 4.5.1 (not the latest) and "MIDI Buttons" shows up in the "More Actions..." list, from whence I downloaded this new gem.
Is this the "Midi" plugin by Trevliga Spel? Or is it a first-party plugin released by Elgato? Or some other third party plugin?

What OS are you using? I'm on Windows, and perhaps if you're on Mac we're possibly seeing different plugins available.

The MIDI plugin by Trevliga Spel seems to work well enough, but I'm interested to know if Elgato is released something directly for MIDI as that bodes well for future support and compatibility.
- Jason

mark

Post by mark »

No, it's called "MIDI Buttons" by Tom Kelly. I'm on a Mac running Sierra. Since it appears within the "More Actions..." list inside the Stream Deck Configuration software, I assume it is released through Elgato. I'm not having to go to a third party site to download it.