There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Orchestral Tools moves away from Kontakt!

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

tack

Re: Frozen Plain moves away from Kontakt

Post by tack »

Tobias Escher wrote: Dec 08, 2019 3:43 pmEDIT: or, in other words, exactly like Kontakt (UI appears immediately when loading, SINE loads preload into RAM), sans the purge, where it will unload the preload and only load it again when a particular sample is needed.
That is a very tricky thing and I hope it can come in the future.
Missed this edit. :)

Ok, makes sense. So the preload stage is done in the background without blocking the UI, it sounds. Ok, this sounds like legit background loading to me. SINE just can't yet run fully purged.

Thanks for clarifying, Tobias!
- Jason

Guy Rowland

Re: Orchestral Tools moves away from Kontakt!

Post by Guy Rowland »

Interesting! What would be the correct name for the specific Kontakt interpretation?

Whatever it is, it is important for those who work with purged templates, its like magic in practice and of course means your RAM goes a whole lot further. For patches like legato espcially it has a massive impact, you might only be using it for a few lines across a few notes, just a tiny fraction of an entire loaded instrument's footprint (albeit just the preloaded parts), and yet under your fingers it plays as if it were all there in RAM.

It would be great if SINE eventually gets there too, imo its the single huge advantage Kontakt has over everyone else. If that monopoly got cracked.... well, that would be interesting times indeed.

tack

Post by tack »

Guy Rowland wrote: Dec 08, 2019 3:51 pm Interesting! What would be the correct name for the specific Kontakt interpretation?
I think Kontakt does just call it "background loading" (to refer to sample preload not blocking the UI) and "purged" (to refer to even sample-start data being streamed direct-from-disk).

And because of that, that's probably the most commonly assumed definition of "background loading." I just wanted to speak more generically, because in fact even Kontakt does a bit too much blocking work in the foreground if you ask me.
- Jason

Tobias Escher

Post by Tobias Escher »

So just for the sake of completeness... SINE can purge, which unloads the whole preload of the articulation, but it gets reloaded completely when you play the first note of that articulation.
So it is sort of in the middle :)

Luciano Storti

Post by Luciano Storti »

Lawrence wrote: Dec 08, 2019 11:34 am They used to call that a RAM disk.
Yes, that’s the name. Good memory there, Larry. Whatever you’re taking, I want some.
Pale Blue Dot.
Luke

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Irish whiskey. In quantity. :)
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Luciano Storti

Post by Luciano Storti »

:D
Pale Blue Dot.
Luke

ComposerGuy

Post by ComposerGuy »

Lol. Yes. Irish Whiskey works EVERY time.
-Disclaimer: I have received free libraries from East West and several others. Don’t shoot me.

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

ComposerGuy wrote: Dec 08, 2019 9:57 pm Lol. Yes. Irish Whiskey works EVERY time.
More of a single malt scotch guy myself.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

EvilDragon

Post by EvilDragon »

Tobias Escher wrote: Dec 08, 2019 4:02 pm So just for the sake of completeness... SINE can purge, which unloads the whole preload of the articulation, but it gets reloaded completely when you play the first note of that articulation.
So it is sort of in the middle :)
Yeah so better behavior would be to just load the sample(s) that were triggered by that note, not all samples of the patch. Fast SSDs can comply with this quite well, actually.
Kontakt is love, Kontakt is life!

Tobias Escher

Post by Tobias Escher »

Yes, of course that would be the better behaviour :) That's why I am saying it.

tack

Post by tack »

Being able to fully purge will be a nice enhancement, but IMO SINE has enough new innovations and what appears to be a nicely functional UI with proper multi-timbral support that it can be forgiven. Unlike some other recently released sample player alternatives :)

I wonder what the memory footprint of an empty instance of the SINE player is.
- Jason

lucor

Post by lucor »

tack wrote: Dec 09, 2019 9:13 pm I wonder what the memory footprint of an empty instance of the SINE player is.
I'd also really like to know this. The worst thing about CAPSULE is how resource hungry it is. I don't own libraries that come even remotely close.
Not only is the RAM consumption of a purged instrument extremely high, CAPSULE also explodes my project save file size like nothing else (can easily measured by saving track presets in Cubase: a track preset for a single patch usually takes up around 0.2 - 1mb in size, for a single CAPSULE instrument it's 12mb, so 12 to 60 time the size!).
If this is improved in SINE, it would already be reason enough for me to ditch all my Kontakt versions once their SINE counterpart is released.