There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

Korg Triton VST released

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Korg Triton VST released

Post by Guy Rowland »

Korg has added the Triton in all its forms and with all its expansions to its Korg Collection. There's an intro offer for $199, usually $249, and various upgrade deals with coupons for owners of the Collection, which I understand aren't always working correctly yet. But the upgrade discounts are pretty modest, I think it's $50 off.

Mostly of nostalgic interest it seems to me, more than the original set - in terms of unique features its essentially a very dated but popular Workstation sample set, right?

https://www.korg.com/us/products/softwa ... ollection/

EvilDragon

Re: Korg Triton VST released

Post by EvilDragon »

There's a bunch of pads in there that are to die for.
Kontakt is love, Kontakt is life!

GR Baumann

Post by GR Baumann »

Still have the original Korg Karma working nicely. :)

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

If you go into Triton patches and turn off the FX, you discover that the samples themselves are not so hotsy-totsy.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

EvilDragon

Post by EvilDragon »

Just like with most old workstations, in fact. The whole Triton's ROM is 290 MB for thousands of samples that are usually relatively short. Different times :)

This doesn't matter, though, since through layering and modulation and, yes, some pretty great FX, you can get some quite stellar sounds.
Kontakt is love, Kontakt is life!

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

EvilDragon wrote: Jan 04, 2020 2:56 am Just like with most old workstations, in fact. The whole Triton's ROM is 290 MB for thousands of samples that are usually relatively short. Different times :)

This doesn't matter, though, since through layering and modulation and, yes, some pretty great FX, you can get some quite stellar sounds.
True, but I have no real nostalgia for them personally.
Charlie Clouser: " I have no interest in, and no need to create, "realistic orchestral mockups". That way lies madness."

www.jayasher.com

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

EvilDragon wrote: Jan 04, 2020 2:56 am Just like with most old workstations, in fact. The whole Triton's ROM is 290 MB for thousands of samples that are usually relatively short. Different times :)

Which probably dwarfed Korg’s M1 and certainly the Roland D-50.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

GR Baumann

Post by GR Baumann »

1988 - M1, 4 MB PCM

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

They did a LOT with 4 mb then!
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

GR Baumann

Post by GR Baumann »

Sure did. I enjoyed my time with Korg synths, 01W, Wavestation and most certainly Karma the most. The one I regretted and that was a total failure for me (sonically) was the M3. Had a few odd balls such as Electribe and Radias, but did not warm up to them. When Oasys came out, I was very, very tempted indeed, mainly due to Karma implementation and Stephen Kays involvement, but decided against this expense because of the developments in Software, in particular Omnisphere and Kontakt. When the Kronos came out, I was even more tempted but bravely resisted. ;)

I remember that I tried to convince Stephen Kay early to get in touch with Spectrasonics.

The Kronos is perhaps the best Workstation that was ever built across all. I could be tempted to pick a used one up one day.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

By the time those came out I was more and more into emulative sampled instruments, rack instruments and software, but they did look intriguing.

L.J. Nachsin

GR Baumann

Post by GR Baumann »

Oh, sure, a workstation alone would not have done it for me, I had a couple of floor standing 19 inch racks with the usual suspects, Emu, Roland, Kurzweil, Akai, Lexicon, Oberheim, Yamaha, and a second Wavestation A/D. Good lord, and yeah...line conditioners and, if memory serves, four or five juicy enough UPS as well, and all them outputs needed to go somewhere, all of them that is of course, then multiple midi routers and the odd boxes in between.... all this resulting in a helluva lot of.....

CABLES !!!!!!!! LOL :)

It must have looked like a mad scientists lab, on your knees, diving under tables, cursing like a docker, entangled in a ton of cable spaghetti. :D The lightshow at night I always found impressive and satisfying, testimony to the hours on your knees Hehehe

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

I had a 48 channel Roland line mixer with 16 channels of Speck 3 band parametric and a bunch of MidiVerbs and Lex LXP-1s to mix my MIDI, which then got sent to another computer with ProTools 3.

Cables! Yeah, my best friend worked for Hosa Cable and he used to send me boxes full of quarter inch cables, MIDI, etc. Hundreds.

L.J. Nachsin

GR Baumann

Post by GR Baumann »

Christ on a mike.... !LOL

I had two of them M-480 in my racks one to the left, one to the right. :)

Know what Larry, despite all the hassle, and a lot of hassle I had, somehow, I really miss this!

You're lucky, I had to pay through my nose after all for all them cable trees and what have you not.

GR Baumann

Post by GR Baumann »

actually, you're causing flashbacks here :)

Just remembered my first serious self designed / built DAW a few years later running Cubase. I was on the ball with computers at that time. Adaptec SCSI Controller with five WD Raptor drives in Raid-0 for recording. Lovely sound.... the drives made that is....Hehehel, but hey, this was really fast!!!!

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Yep, I had 10k SCSI drives and MO drives. Nostalgia!

L.J. Nachsin

wst3

Post by wst3 »

I still have a pile of SCSI drives (mostly 10K, various versions of SCSI), a couple Adaptec cards, and a couple of drive towers in the basement. By the time I abandoned SCSI they were all worthless. Which is fine, they worked extremely well, and they owed me nothing.

My favorite SCSI toy was a tape drive that Silicon Graphics modified so that it could read DAT audio tapes at twice speed. I still have two of those, but nothing to connect them to, and really no use for them, haven't recorded to DAT in ages.

Things were not cheap, and sometimes not terribly easy to get working, but dang, it was exciting<G>!

GR Baumann

Post by GR Baumann »

Yep Bill, that is something I really, really miss somehow.

Our little conversation here triggered the idea to go retro to a degree and pick up used rack modules to start with.

I so very much regret that I sold all my gear, it was a lot, from Tascam Midi Studio 688 over Roland JD800 and so many more racks and boards.

I sold all my gear and more for.... what else could it be!!!.... a Lady that I was deeply in love with, hence moved from Europe to the US with nothing left except a backpack and a substantial pile of cash, well bundles of traveller cheques that was. Did I mention life has some crazy surprises at times? :)

GR Baumann

Post by GR Baumann »

LOL, are MIDI cables an extinct species or can you still get them? ;) Remember Jazz drives?

GR Baumann

Post by GR Baumann »

Reminds me of an unpleasant event at Chicago Airport. Besides traveller cheques I also had cash on me that turned out to be too much as the officer insisted. I did not research that before.

Was a real hassle to explain, but after 2.5 hours, he galantly allowed me to enter despite the dollars in my security belt, a chap in his prime with military short hair, a body like a cage fighter and this belt triggered his suspicion of course. My Lady was a well known Prof. so a couple of phone calls and my second name being Mr. charm, if so needed, did help I suppose. :)

Yeah Nostalgia! Not much left of that cage fighter today though. cough cough...LOL

GR Baumann

Post by GR Baumann »

ouch.... going retro is not a cheap endeavour

https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide/25 ... atrix-1000

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

GR Baumann wrote: Jan 08, 2020 8:00 am I so very much regret that I sold all my gear
I don't think even an occasional dose of nostalgia makes me regret selling any kit. Everything I have now is at a bare minimum as good as what I had, and usually infinitely better. And it all takes up massively less space.

Mikeybabes

Post by Mikeybabes »

The Korg M1 always brings back warm memories for me. I was working at London Zoo at the time and dating a smoking hot young lady who also worked there. I’d been sticking some money aside when the M1 arrived in a blaze of glory. I remember going to Chappell’s of Bond Street and spending a happy few hours putting it through its paces - I mean - a keyboard with a built in FX section - wow !!!

Anyway, I was telling this young lady all about it and she insisted on coming with me to have another look at it. She insisted on putting a bit of money to it, and I remember getting a rare black cab back to our flat in Alexandra Palace, with a large brown box sitting on the floor.

I thanked her properly (quite a few times and twice on weekends in fact ) and dived into the arms of my other passion...

The M1 was with me for many years, but I eventually sold it - wish I hadn’t now, if only for sentimental reasons.

As for that hot young lady -

We are celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary this year, and I still thank her regularly, but sadly, not normally twice on weekends anymore....

So the Korg M1 - for me, the finest keyboard in history....

Edit: To this day she always insists on telling people she found her future husband at the zoo......

Ashermusic

Post by Ashermusic »

I too played one for many years and it had some good sounds, although I hated the acoustic piano. Eventually sold it and went to a Kurzweil PC88.

I don’t miss the M1.

www.jayasher.com

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Mikeybabes wrote: Jan 10, 2020 3:38 pm The Korg M1 always brings back warm memories for me. I was working at London Zoo at the time and dating a smoking hot young lady who also worked there. I’d been sticking some money aside when the M1 arrived in a blaze of glory. I remember going to Chappell’s of Bond Street and spending a happy few hours putting it through its paces - I mean - a keyboard with a built in FX section - wow !!!

Anyway, I was telling this young lady all about it and she insisted on coming with me to have another look at it. She insisted on putting a bit of money to it, and I remember getting a rare black cab back to our flat in Alexander Palace, with a large brown box sitting on the floor.

I thanked her properly (quite a few times and twice on weekends in fact ) and dived into the arms of my other passion...

The M1 was with me for many years, but I eventually sold it - wish I hadn’t now, if only for sentimental reasons.

As for that hot young lady -

We are celebrating out 30th wedding anniversary this year, and I still thank her regularly, but sadly, not normally twice on weekends anymore....

So the Korg M1 - for me, the finest keyboard in history....

Edit: To this day she always insists on the telling people she found her future husband at the zoo......
I don't love the M1 - neither the keyboard nor British motorway - but this post is great.