There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

NI / Audiobro / Heavyocity / Soundiron / Cinesamples vocal sale

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

NI / Audiobro / Heavyocity / Soundiron / Cinesamples vocal sale

Post by Guy Rowland »

These sales are getting complicated....

80% off a Soundiron bundle
50% off Audiobro Genesis, Cinesamples Men of The North & Voxos
16% off (wow) Heavyocity Mosaic Voices

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/s ... l-special/

kpc

Re: NI / Audiobro / Heavyocity / Soundiron / Cinesamples vocal sale

Post by kpc »

Guy Rowland wrote: Aug 08, 2019 5:07 pm These sales are getting complicated....

80% off a Soundiron bundle
50% off Audiobro Genesis, Cinesamples Men of The North & Voxos
16% off (wow) Heavyocity Mosaic Voices

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/s ... l-special/
Is that a sarcastic “wow”?
- kayle

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

Perhaps 16% is all Heavyocity could lose and still retain its heaviness.

Best,

Geoff

Tobias Escher

Post by Tobias Escher »

.... and they have yelled us is the ground in the past for DARING to ONLY have a 25% sale....

Jokes aside - Genesis is quite tempting. The rest not so much, at least not for me.
But even Genesis is no match for the real thing and sadly in my opinion with Choirs you hear it when they are sampled. Maybe it is just my familiarity with the medium, but I always think fake choirs draw the attention to themselves in a piece, so I usually leave them out.

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

Tobias Escher wrote: Aug 09, 2019 1:34 am .... and they have yelled us is the ground in the past for DARING to ONLY have a 25% sale....
Ha ha! 16% is both a bit miserly and bizarrely specific too, which draws attention to it all the more somehow.
Tobias Escher wrote: Aug 09, 2019 1:34 amJokes aside - Genesis is quite tempting. The rest not so much, at least not for me.
But even Genesis is no match for the real thing and sadly in my opinion with Choirs you hear it when they are sampled. Maybe it is just my familiarity with the medium, but I always think fake choirs draw the attention to themselves in a piece, so I usually leave them out.
I find myself rarely using exposed legato on choirs for this reason, its very rarely good enough even when its not at all bad. Genesis does sound particularly good in this area, but my thing is I only so rarely even try to use Liberis that I don't know if I can justify another children's choir even this clearly very good library at this very good price. Dumb generic Latin chants for That Sort Of Thing or sustained oohs and aahs seem easier to get away with.

(slight tangent, but in the UK we're getting absolutely hammered on the exchange rates as we face the sunny uplands of a no-deal Brexit, which is curtailing some shopping here. I bought a sound effect library yesterday with an exchange rate of $1.15, I think that's the worst I can ever remember. Also very bad against other currencies. This sale is actually at a fixed exchange rate from NI though).

wst3

Post by wst3 »

It's an odd sale!

The only two in the SoundIron bundle I don't own are the newest, and I find it somewhat ironic that I can get them both as part of the bundle for less (albeit $10 less) than purchasing them through SoundIron. I"ll wait till I need them, and hopefully they'll be on sale again?

A couple others are tempting - I had seriously considered Men of War for a recent project, but shelved the idea because I didn't want to spend the time or money. At half off I might change my mind. Might!

It is the Genesis choir that is most tempting to me, I love the sound of a children's choir, I get great mileage from Bela D Giovani Revive (I have the original as well, it sounded terrific, but was nigh impossible to navigate!)

However, I find myself in complete agreement with Tobias and Guy, the human voice is proving to be very difficult to sample, and I end up using them in the background or as sound design elements - and I don't know if I need another tool for that.

Geoff Grace

Post by Geoff Grace »

Yes, I'll add my voice *ahem* to those who feel choir sounds are very difficult, if not impossible, to realistically mockup.

Nonetheless, I'm also tempted by Genesis and by Fluffy Audio's Dominus Choir, which is on sale at their site right now. Judging from their demos, Dominus seems to hit the sweet spot for gentle, emotive passages.

Best,

Geoff

Stakk

Post by Stakk »

I wrote this a few times in vi-c, but Genesis is excellent (relatively speaking to other choir libraries I played with). Extremely low noise level, not full but more than enough wordbuilding capability, thoroughly edited and streamlined from pads to marcato to staccato to legato. It's capable of fast melodic line and I never really had "ehh I can do this with [ah] but can't with [lar]" moment with Genesis. Nothing is of course perfect, but the library sure feels like in a different level.

My only gripe is that Audiobro's custom download solution is honestly awful (I had to try with 3 different PCs because of an unknown error, can only download once or twice and download very very very slow, it even stops downloading while extracting each volume). They are helpful, though, I wish they just used a different solution instead of wasting their precious time troubleshooting with people. But even with that Genesis made my mind blown.

KyleJudkins

Post by KyleJudkins »

Tobias Escher wrote: Aug 09, 2019 1:34 am .... and they have yelled us is the ground in the past for DARING to ONLY have a 25% sale....

Jokes aside - Genesis is quite tempting. The rest not so much, at least not for me.
Sadly I feel like each choir library can do something well and convincing, but that's it's "trick". Certain style phrase it can nail and everything else is either not do-able or not passable. It's like certain string libraries have different articulations each that you think they nailed what you want - and some people actually mix and match their entire string template up that way - but choirs are so different in ensemble size, placement, grouping, recordings ect that it's impossible.

genesis seems kind of cool but I don't write for kids lol

Mikeybabes

Post by Mikeybabes »

I've never bought a choir library - though I have a couple of choir patches in the Arks etc. It's not really the kind of music I write.

However, I was so taken with the sound of Genesis and the demos of the engine that I bought a copy and whilst there is of course no comparison with a real choir, I think with judicious use it can really add something special. I'm stacked out just now, but I'm looking forward to writing something with Genesis when I get a little free time.

Just goes to show, no matter how well sorted you are for libraries - and I am - there is always GAS.....

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo »

Not wanting to create a new thread for this, 8dio joins the voices discount with most of its choir and voices libraries:
https://8dio.com/instrument-category/8d ... t-samples/
So many voices ... should I pick up one of these? Or would you rather have me take singing lessons (to quote a rather frequent question from the other forum)?
:-)

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

FriFlo wrote: Aug 13, 2019 12:08 pmOr would you rather have me take singing lessons (to quote a rather frequent question from the other forum)?
Well 100 voices of mixed gender from bass to soprano would tax any one of us, right?

Speaking of which - any Lacrimosa users out there? Don't think I need it really, but raptures of enthusiasm could sway me. My current workhorses for big stuff are Requiem Lite, OT Ark 1, Symphonic Choirs.

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo »

Guy Rowland wrote: Aug 13, 2019 12:52 pm Speaking of which - any Lacrimosa users out there? Don't think I need it really, but raptures of enthusiasm could sway me. My current workhorses for big stuff are Requiem Lite, OT Ark 1, Symphonic Choirs.
Almost in the same position. Except, I also got Soundirons Main Choir (Mars and Venus, or whatever that is called by now).

Topic author
Guy Rowland

Post by Guy Rowland »

I've just had the walkthroughs on in the background. Must admit, it IS a nice tone. Our lousy exchange rate might save me from myself. Maybe there is an upside to Brexit...