There's more than meets the eye
Register now to unlock all subforums. As a guest, your view is limited to a small part of The Sound Board.

L. A. Modern Percussion - $60 at Pulse Audio

Industry and music tech news, deals and bargains. Anyone can view, any member can contribute.

Topic author
Linos

L. A. Modern Percussion - $60 at Pulse Audio

Post by Linos »

Pulse Audio is running an 80% discount on Audio Ollie's L. A. Modern Percussion. Recorded and mixed at Warner Bros Eastwood Stage by Alan Meyerson. It's $60 for the next two weeks.

https://pulse.audio/product/la-modern-p ... dio-ollie/

Lawrence

Re: L. A. Modern Percussion - $60 at Pulse Audio

Post by Lawrence »

Wow. That seems a no-brainer.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

Topic author
Linos

Post by Linos »

It's a very good price. Do you have LAMP Larry? And if so, would you recommend it?

I don't often need trailer or film percussion. But usually I really like Alan Meyerson's work. So I am sure I would enjoy it sonically. I'm still debating whether I want to do the work of integrating LAMP into my template.

Piet De Ridder

Post by Piet De Ridder »

I don’t write much music that needs orchestral percussion — in fact, if I’m honest, I don’t like orchestral percussion all that much (nor music that relies heavily on it, a few early 20th century exceptions notwithstanding) — but if I were, I wouldn’t hesitate about this deal.

__

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Linos wrote: Feb 16, 2024 12:40 pm It's a very good price. Do you have LAMP Larry? And if so, would you recommend it?

I don't often need trailer or film percussion. But usually I really like Alan Meyerson's work. So I am sure I would enjoy it sonically. I'm still debating whether I want to do the work of integrating LAMP into my template.
This!

I don’t have it, listened to demos when it came out, thought it sounded good, didn’t need it for the price.

Now it’s a great price, but the whole template thing-just painful.

I’ve been working with a singer/cowriter over the past year and we’re onto our ninth song. I’ve started from scratch each time-so much easier. So much less clutter.

I’ve decided to get less lazy about it and set up a half dozen new templates that are much more directed at specific projects. I just find my “everything” template unwieldy these days.

Anyway, I’m going to buy LAMP and integrate it into a big pounding template with ARK 1-type bombastic patches.
“Many musicians get paying work based on their ability to create believable orchestral simulations. Whenever musicians get paying work, that’s a Good Thing.”

L.J. Nachsin

srkrishnan

Post by srkrishnan »

I've been eyeing this for a long time. Got it the moment the deal was published on VI-C.

wst3

Post by wst3 »

I do not believe anyone will regret this purchase! I purchased it a while ago and it does get used.

Topic author
Linos

Post by Linos »

Piet De Ridder wrote: Feb 16, 2024 1:14 pm I don’t write much music that needs orchestral percussion [...] but if I were, I wouldn’t hesitate about this deal.
__
Similar for me. I do use orchestral percussion regularly, but mainly standard stuff like timpani, gran cassa, piatti. Some drums and the odd mallet here and there. With BBCSO and Cinepercussion I do have these covered twice already. I don't have much in terms of epic/cinematic percussion. But that's because I simply didn't need any so far.

Looking at the patches list, I think LAMP would add next to nothing to orchestral percussion for me.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... 281%29.pdf

It seems to be a great collection for hyped percussion though.

wst3

Post by wst3 »

interesting - this, I guess, is why we have Chocolate and Vanilla?

LAMP is a good choice for bombastic, I fill in the rest with True Strike.

For "standard" percussion I use ToonTrack Orchestral Percussion, I love the sound, and seldom need to fill in the blanks.

I find BBCSO, and Cineperc to be somewhere in between.

I also love the miscellaneous percussion libraries from the old Tonehammer folks<G>

wst3

Post by wst3 »

A trap I often fall into - I work with one of the less bombastic libraries on a track that is in no way intended to be epic, but after working with it for a while I decide it needs more oomph, so I insert a more bombastic library, when what I really needed to do is walk away.

It is not unlike that adaptation that happens after working for a while at a reasonable level, you start to push the volume knob up slowly.

Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Well, I’ve bought it and may eventually try it! I’m looking forward to some slamming bombast, and I’ll report back soon.

L.J. Nachsin